I’m pretty sure that my new favorite way to eat ground deer is in carnitas! I’ve fallen more in love with tacos recently, and almost every week we celebrate Taco Tuesday at our house :).
I put a spin on the typical ground pork carnitas, and I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
When I’m not feeling the carbs, I make a flavorful salad with all the same ingredients on top of a bed of romaine or green leaf lettuce and spinach.
Start by browning the ground deer, and then rinse and drain if desired.
Cook onions, green onions, bell pepper, and pablano (optional) until slightly browned (about 10 minutes). You can make this as mild or as spicy as you’d like, by adding jalapenos and whatever else you like.
Add meat back to pot with onion mixture and then add tomato paste, bouillon, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Simmer uncovered until the water cooks out and the meat mixture is thickened.
Serve with avocado/guacamole, pico de gallo, quick-pickled red onion, and crema (recipes below). Garnish with cilantro & lime juice.
- 2 lbs Ground Deer/Venison
- 1 large Red Onion
- 2 large Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno or pablano pepper (optional)**
- 4 Green Onions, diced
- 1 6-oz can Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Bouillon Broth
- 1 1/2 TBsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 TBsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Pink Salt
- 8 oz Grape Tomatoes
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- 1/2 Lemon (to prevent guac from turning brown)
- 2 Limes
- 2 Avocados
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 TBsp water
- 2 tsp sugar
- Tortillas of choice
- Before you begin, divide large Red Onion in half. Dice half the onion and set aside. Take the other half and finely dice half of it (quarter of onion) for the pico de gallo and thinly slice the remaining quarter onion.
- In a small bowl, mix thinly-sliced onions, 1/4 cup white wine vinegar, 2 TBsp water, 2 tsp sugar and dash of salt. Set aside.
- Mix together a quarter of the red onion (finely diced), 1 finely diced bell pepper, 8 ounce package of grape tomatoes (diced), and handful of chopped fresh cilantro. Add juice of half a lime, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together about 1/4 cup Sour Cream and enough water (about 1 TBsp) to make it thinner. Add the juice of half a lime, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Start by browning the ground deer meat in a few tablespoons of healthy oil of choice (coconut, grapeseed, olive oil), and then rinse and drain if desired.
- Cook diced onions, green onions, bell pepper, and pablano (optional) until slightly browned (about 10 minutes). Season with salt & pepper.
- Add meat back to pot with onion mixture and then add tomato paste, bouillon broth, chili powder, cumin, salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Simmer uncovered until the water cooks out and the meat mixture is thickened (about 10-15 minutes). Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with avocado/guacamole (simply mash the avocado and add juice of half a lemon and half a lime with salt & pepper), crema, pico de gallo, and quick-pickled red onion. Garnish with cilantro & lime juice from the remaining half of lime.
**You can make this as mild or as spicy as you'd like, by adding jalapenos and whatever else you like.